Are you a Local? Write for VisitSouth!
Thank you for your interest in becoming a VisitSouth Local! These are the people that not only know the most about their home towns, but are truly passionate about sharing the best of the best with our readers. These Locals know where to find the best gumbo in town, the most exciting and unusual events, and the secret fishing holes and gorgeous views that only a local could know. Anyone can be a good writer, but our locals are also talented storytellers, reflected in every article we publish.
Are you a true Local? Our publication does strive to maintain a family-friendly atmosphere, but our target demographic is everyone from teenagers, to college students on road trips, to couples on romantic getaways, to snowbirds spending the winter on the coast. Creativity is always appreciated, and the true nature of storytelling should always be a through line. Here are a few more items that are important to us:
– local to the town or city for which you write (Born and raised? Perfect! Ok, maybe you weren’t born there, but you’ve been there long enough to call it home and plan on staying for a while? That’ll work too. As long as you are in love with your corner of the world and want to talk about it!)
– able to work remotely and independently with little direction; dedicated and timely
– a connection to the community (Are you a regular at the town diner? On a first-name basis with the town mayor? Do you currently write for your local newspaper?)
– journalistic style and sensibility; helpful degrees (though not required) – English, Journalism, Communications, Film, Marketing, Theatre.
– experience in content marketing or writing for SEO
– social media marketing know-how; proven with participation and interaction on Facebook, Twitter and Google+
– a Google+ Author page
– personable and friendly; true Southerners should be able to strike up a conversation with anyone, and our Locals are professionals in this arena.
This position will be responsible for:
– writing several articles per week for onsite content
– creating compelling video content; becoming a face for your town, city or region
– building and maintaining a social presence and following across several channels
– other creative projects when applicable
Are you ready to be a VisitSouth Local? We are excited to hear from you! Any questions, or prefer to send your application as an emailed attachment?
*Select internships are also available for truly dedicated students currently enrolled in Journalism, Communications, English, Film.